JComms is CDE's agency for PR and corporate communications internationally, including dealing with all trade media around the world in markets such as the US, Sub-Saharan Africa, Europe and the Middle East.
As part of our contract, we were given a brief by CDE to manage PR for its involvement in the bauma trade show in Munich in April 2019. Our objectives were to:
- Use CDE’s involvement in bauma to maximise the company’s profile with global trade media as the industry-leading innovator
- Maximise positive media coverage in key publications of relevant CDE products (notably the CDE Combo™)
- Through bauma PR activity, support the generation of new business
We carried out a significant amount of research into the sector in which CDE operates; we did research into media relevant to the company and the trade show, including speaking with journalists at relevant publications; we also thoroughly researched bauma, including reading news stories about the show in past years, meeting with and talking to CDE team members who had been before, and talking with bauma’s PR team. We also thoroughly researched CDE products, including two new products, and worked with CDE team members to identify the key innovations, the key tangible benefits for customers, and how to articulate these in easily accessible language.
Our planning involved using our research to write a PR strategic plan which was approved by the client, planning meetings with the CDE marketing team, preparing key message docs, preparing Q&A docs for CDE reps who would be speaking with media, preparing media invitations, coordinating with the CDE digital team, creating a bank of imagery of relevant CDE products, and booking and briefing a photographer in Munich.
Our strategy was to position CDE at bauma as the agile innovator, revolutionising how its customers maximise their resources, using two new products as tangible evidence of CDE’s role in shaking up its sector. The PR strategy for bauma included activity before, during and after the trade show. It focused on telling the CDE story and the story of its two new products in a creative way and in language that is accessible and easily understood, which highlights real tangible benefits to customers.
As part of our work on bauma, we researched and created lists of all relevant, specialist trade media in a range of markets including UK & Ireland, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australasia. We engaged with all relevant, specialist trade publications, including inviting those attending the show to CDE launches and events, issuing press releases to them, and pitching interviews to them. We also engaged with them to access their features lists and position relevant content to them for the features.
Tactics as part of the bauma PR plan included
- Press releases written for the pre-bauma media event in January in Munich
- Teaser activity to get relevant media interested in the two products to be launched at bauma – including press activity to trail that CDE would be launching products at the show that would revolutionise the sector
- Supporting media launch events and media hospitality events at bauma including inviting and encouraging global journalists to attend the events
- Press release issued in advance of bauma with a special offer on one of the products
- Photographer in attendance at bauma taking shots for a range of uses
- Setting up interviews with key trade media
- Engaging with relevant trade stakeholders / associations and their relevant publications
- Significant follow-up with international trade media after the event
- Writing features and thought-leadership articles
Creativity and innovation are seen in the ability to think big and to package CDE’s story in a way that was accessible, eye-catching, relevant, and timely, therefore cutting through all of the noise to grab the media attention.
- The pre-bauma media event took place in January 2019
- Teaser activity was rolled out in February and March
- Media invitations to the bauma events went out in March and significant follow-up took place during March and April
- bauma itself took place April 8th to 14th
- Intensive PR activity took place during this period, including engaging with journalists, issuing press releases and photos
Aligned to this, we supported CDE to launch Combo™ to the sub-Saharan Africa market with activity centered around a thought-leadership conference, the ‘Future of Sand Washing’, and an open day event at a customer site. As part of the campaign to introduce the patented Combo™ to this market, JComms engaged with key specialist trade media and trade associations in the region to generate coverage of the product launch, conference and open day event, as well as to amplify CDE ad spend through leveraging added-value editorial with core trade media titles. The Future of Sand Washing conference was organised in collaboration with the industry association for quarrying and surface mining in South Africa (ASPASA). It also included representation from Invest NI and the UK’s Department for International Trade. JComms’s support included liaising with stakeholders, the Personal Assistant to Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner for Africa and the Head of Communications | Africa at the Department for International Trade – Johannesburg about logistical preparations and communications for Emma Wade-Smith, Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner for Africa at the Department for International Trade, participating in the customer site visit to Ground Breakers.
Outputs from bauma PR activity
- Five press releases
- Three media invitations
- Three media events
- Almost 30 journalists from centrally important trade press attended the press previews, providing the opportunity for one-to-one engagement
- Hundreds of media phonecalls
- Coverage achieved in titles from more than 40 countries
- More than 100 hits in key trade media around the world
- Interviews secured with a range of important trade publications
- CDE is well on target to exceed its commercial objective from bauma
- CDE built new and deep relationships with key trade media from around the world which is already reaping significant rewards in terms of further opportunities
PR successes were reported to CDE, including in the form of media coverage reporting, and a post-project review was carried out.